Mammy lil baby luv shortnin-shortnin
mammy lil baby luv shortnin bread!
Lookin at my lil black gal.... brings a fond cuteness to mind! "Shortnin' Bread" is the old song from the Deep South plantation.. first written by a white poet named James Whitcomb Riley not really a long time ago...in 1900 -- the year my Mama Dooley was born! A part of the chorus is:
- Fotch dat dough fum the kitchin-shed—
- Rake de coals out hot an' red—
- Putt on de oven an' putt on de led,—
- Mammy's gwineter cook som short'nin' bread.
- Mammy's little baby loves short'nin', short'nin',
- Mammy's little baby loves short'nin' bread