Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Tea Time.... for my Vintage African-American Doll collection

I will count today as a NOBLE day !
Good morning to my mini-world of blog-friends!

When I hold a doll of any race..... I see a broader representation of a people and its culture.  This vinyl, crochet or bisque doll depicts how we see ourselves, how others see us... and conveys the values of our society-at-large.

Although I fit into the timeline of Baby-Boomers ...  as I grew up in rural central Oklahoma from first-sixth grade.... I played with dolls and paper dolls.... But I don't remember ever have a "named-brand" doll.
But when I shopped around in 2013 at an estate sale... in instinctively knew something was more than cute about this 

little Betsy Doll in a Collector Box!

As I reflected on noble things.... and vintage items..... these dolls were produced from 1951 - 1963 by Ideal and American Character Dolls.... and more recentently (1990) by Tonner Doll Co.   The modern Betsy McCall 8" doll is fondly called Tiny Betsy.    Tonner made two styles of face paints.. Classic and Perky.  

Here is a picture (l-r) of 2002 Betsy McCall Convention Dru,  Sitting Pretty Dru (14" standing center doll) .... Party Pink Dry, and (my baby) is the Classic Stripes Dru....


Don't think of me as odd.... but my heart delights that this is great Black History month stuff (Feb-2015)!  at the promo site... my dolly Dru ....comes in a striped swimsuit and sandals...plus hairbows...ready to dress.  Perfect for play or display for ages of 5 years and up.  Each doll has eyes that open and close... a lovely hairdo, and an 8inch vinly body... with jointed knees... dressed in removeable swimsuit and sandals.   

It was also....new in its terminology and use of word "Dru" ... so what is Dru?    I discovered a reference of "dark Brown"


(Store price originally listed Basic Doll:  $39.99)

What say ye.... good friends......It's time for Tiny Besty and Tiny Dru to have a bit of tea.   The have donned the pretty-in-pink dresses..... and ENJOY!



BK's Wishing Well! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

SO glad you stopped by to make this world a better place !